Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Canning Our Tomato Soup Base. It is so easy!

It has been so busy at our house. The tomatoes are overflowing. We have been freezing a lot of produce this summer to save on time, but we also like to can a soup base. The recipe is found in the Ball Blue Book. It is called Stewed Tomatoes. If you have never canned it is not hard to do. Buy the book and follow the pictures and recipes, that show you exactly what to do.
Gather all your veggies, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, garlic, and celery (not in the picture) are used in the recipe that we use.


BBB Stewed Tomatoes

4 quarts chopped (or sliced) peeled, cored tomatoes (about 24 large)
1 c chopped celery
1/2 c chopped onion
1/4 c chopped green peppers
1 T sugar (optional)
2 tsp. canning salt

Combine all in large non-reactive sauce pot. Cover and cook 10 mins. stirring to prevent sticking. Ladle hot vegetables in to hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust 2 piece caps and process in a water bath pints 40 mins, quarts 45 mins, start timing after the water comes to a boil.  Makes 7 pints or 3 quarts.

My book has been used so much. It is from 1998. It is well worth it to buy the book, if you are going to can your produce. I saw the book yesterday and it was $6.35. The recipe I used is called Stewed Tomatoes. We use it as a base for our Chili and Vegetable Beef Soup. We love it and you always have a fast meal when unexpected family or friends come.

We use a food processor and chop all the ingredients. Put everything in a
large saucepan. Cook for 10 minutes. I get it real warm.

Fill the jars with a 1/2 inch space at the top.






Process pints 15 minutes, quarts 20 ,minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.

                                                      Let jars cool.

Makes me feel good to have them all stored on the shelf for fall and winter use. If you want to make our Chili Soup recipe: Take one quart jar of stewed tomatoes, 2 cans of mexican chili beans, one can of tomato soup, 1 lb. of cooked hamburger and one package of chili seasoning. Simmer over medium heat. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Serve with crackers and cornbread. It is wonderful.
Vegetable Beef Soup: One quart of stewed tomatoes, add 1 lb. of hamburger, carrots, potatoes, green beans, corn, peas and 2 tbs. of barley. MMMMMM Good!
Blessings,
Linda

10 comments:

  1. Good day Linda!

    What a blessing being able to 'put up' the tomtatoes :) I had a bountiful harvest of tomatoes this year but they didn't ripen. Thanks for sharing the recipe and tutorial :)

    I am having a giveaway on my blog, drawing is on October 2nd if you would like to enter :)

    Have a blessed weekend!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, what beautiful jars of tomatoes! Thanks so much for sharing. Your pictures show a water bath container....do you can yours using water bath or pressure? I used to can years ago but am leery of using my pressure canner, which is why I don't do it as much anymore. I end up freezing my tomatoes, but that is one veggie I like the taste of better canned than frozen.

    Thanks again!

    JeanM from SPFH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love my Ball Blue Book and use it all the time. Your harvest of tomatoes looks yummy; will be tasty when the snowballs fly. -smile-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda, there is nothing like home canned tomatoes..my sis lives in rural Illinois and always cans tomatoes in late summer. I am so spoiled. Usually she makes a trip out or we head back there but this year I am flying back there in Sept for a couple weeks, and she is going to teach me to can tomatoes too. Im not sure how I am going to get some jars home, but I will figure it out!
    thanks for the chili recipe!
    hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Linda, I see the previous question re: the water bath vs pressure canner. You say pressure canner for 15min, but the picture shows a water bath? Could you please clarify.
    Love, love your site & all your wonderful encouragements. Congrats! on your cookie surprise:)Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, a clarification would be great on the pressure cooker vs. water bath. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anonymous, I thought I had changed that to water bath. I just did. Sorry!!!!!!!!
    Thank you for letting me know. Enjoy
    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just came across you tomato soup base. It looks good. Can you use green tomatoes, or do they have to be red? Thanks, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your canned tomatoes look amazing and I know everyone would love to have them n their pantry shelves! We have a great recipe for tomato soup base, so when we have plenty of tomatoes Tom makes this nd we're able to freeze it! So yummy in the middle of the winter!! But.. Last year was a bad year so we didn't get enough to freeze! Sad...

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a comment. It is so appreciated and it makes me feel like I am making a new friend.

God Bless your day!