Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Sweet Little Valentine Idea!


I hope you enjoy our Prairie Flower Fabric Pin! It is so easy to make. This is the flower I used on the Book Bag, which will be coming in pattern form real soon! I made this one in red and pink! I really like!!



For each leaf, large circle and small circle, you are going to need 1 piece of cotton (design fabric), 1 batting and 1 piece of muslin.


3”x6”” for leaf.

4”x4” large circle

3”x3” small circle

1 1/8” cover button kit. Small piece of matching fabric or a yoyo

One pin back with locking bar

Needle and heavy thread



Print the pattern for leaf, circles and yoyo pattern onto cardstock. Cut out each pattern before starting.


Press and spray each fabric piece with spray starch. Layer each piece as I have shown in picture with design fabric on top, batting in the middle and muslin on the bottom. You will keep the three layers together, as you will be sewing though all thicknesses as you sew up the flower.


Use a pencil or erasable pen, trace around each pattern piece onto the top design fabric.


1. Before you start sewing, set sewing machine with a very small zig-zag stitch. Sew through all the layers of the fabric together for leaf, and two circles for flowers, (design fabric on top, batting in the middle and muslin on bottom). Stitch on pencil line on the top side of the design fabric.

2. Using pinking shears cut 1/4" from stitching line . Do the same for each circle. Press with an iron.

3. Make a small tuck in the center of the leaf, secure by stitching back and forth.

4. All your pieces should look like this. Press with an iron. I love to use my iron!


5. Fold each circle in half. Cut a dime size circle out of the center of each circle .

6. With needle and heavy thread sew around the hole of each flower and pull thread. Tie off with a few knots to the backside.

7. Press each flower circle with an iron. Do Not Press Down Hard. Press just enough to make little pleats evenly around the each flower. Using a glue gun, glue small flower on top of large flower.

8. Glue leaf to backside of flower.

9. Glue pin back/locking bar to backside of pin.

10. Using the 1 1/8" cover button, follow the instructions on the package. If you would rather use a yoyo follow these instructions. Trace yoyo pattern onto fabric with a pencil. Cut yoyo circle out of fabric. Turn the edge of the yoyo just under 1/8”, with a continuous stitch, stitch all around the yoyo. Be sure to double your thread. Pull after you have gone all around the yoyo. Secure threads. I like to work the yoyo with my fingers, to make the shape look nice. Glue to the flower! You are finished!

Hope you enjoy this little flower pin!

This flower would be a sweet gift favor for any occasion. You could make a name tag and tuck it in between the large flower and leaf. You could pin the flower on the ladies as they came in or use it as a favor on the table as a name place. As you see I made it as a decoration by pinning it onto one of my heart tins. I thought a flower and heart garland would also be fun. Use a heart shape cookie cutter as a pattern. Make some hearts up as you did with the flower and pink the edges. Attach a heart, flower heart flower and so on. Tie ribbon bows on each side. I can just see it in my mind! Can you?

If you find fun ways of using this little pin flower, please email me your pictures or tell me how you used it. I am sure there are wonderful ideas out there. I would love to put them up on my blog.

©2010 Linda Stubbs Pattern for your personnel use. Thank you.

You are welcome to blog about this little Valentine tutorial, if you like. Leave a comment! I love comments! Then if you are new I can come see you!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Blessings,
Linda

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial, Linda!!! I LOVE it♥ Can't wait to make some of these :)
    I'm going to link this on my sidebar!
    Hugz,
    Cathy ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. simply adorable! Great tutorial and thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Linda so cute! THank you for sharing the tutorial, maybe when I learn how to sew I can make one :)

    Have a blessed day!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun little posy pin! I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute. I just may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun little pin and something quick to make up as gifts.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda...your flower pin is so adorable...thanks for sharing it with us...
    and thanks for the Valentine gift too...
    Have a Blessed day...
    Sweet Blessings...
    Tonja

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is a comment from Brenda. For some reason she can not leave a comment on my blog. Sad....... here it is!

    Dear sweet Linda,
    Your talent just keeps getting better♥ I enjoy your updates that come in my email so much. You brighten my day.
    Blessings and hope you are staying warm,
    Brenda S 'Okie in Colorado'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda, Just found your blog through Sugar Pie Farmhouse! Great Blog! Blessings, Jaime
    ps. I'm a follower now, look forward to reading your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Linda, for the adorable flower tutorial! I can think of so many things to use it on! You are such a sweet, generous lady!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Linda! Always something here to make me smile.

    Please say prayers for my niece Staci! My niece Karla just called me. She has a rapid heartbeat and Karla is watching her kids so her husband Dustin can take her to the ER. I need prayer please. Staci is my husband's niece and Karla is mine. They just happen to be BFF! They both have kids in the same age so Karla & Aaron are helping them out. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I notice you said that you loved to use your iron. Would you love to use MY iron? Because I have a huge pile of stuff, waiting for someone who loves ironing (NOT IT!) Cute pin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tutorial on your sweet flower pin! Think I'll take your idea and embellish a purse I just finished...That would be cute on there!
    Hapy LOVE Month, xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is just about as cute as can be! As soon as I can, I'll post about it and put it on my facebook. It's too good not to share!

    Blessings,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a cute craft, Linda! I just shared about it on my blog (mittoweracademy.blogspot.com). I'm right in the midst of making tea bag cozies for gifts, so I hope to post a picture of those soon.

    Thanks for sharing your ideas and how to make them happen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well that's just cute as a button...ahummm...pin! It's so cute I might have to use it for a craft in Kid's Church Sunday! May I??? Thanks!!!

    Ya'll have a great day and a fun Valentine's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how dear this is!!! Thank you!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this! I think I might even be able to make it! Great idea...and so cute for Spring! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Preciosa flor, gracias Por El tutorial Por tan y enviarme amablemente El Patrón de la bolsa de la gallina y pollitos SUS, besos

    Chelo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a comment. It is so appreciated and it makes me feel like I am making a new friend.

God Bless your day!