Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Do You Want To Start Some Seeds With Me?


It was so warm today and it was wonderful! I planted some tomatoes and basil. I thought I would show you what I did. Last year I did a lot more with my seeds (click and you can see). It will have to be a little more simple for me this year.

You will need: Potting Mix Soil (Miracle-Gro), a cup or tea cup, seeds, heating pad, cooling rack, plastic bag and a tag.

Planting seeds is so easy! You save a lot money wise and it is so enjoyable watching the little sprouts come up. Today we will do tomatoes. You will need a clean cup or tea cup, as my friend Gail uses. I chose a little granite ware cup. Make sure it is real clean. Potting Mix Miracle-Gro is found at a greenhouse near you. It is good to support an independent Greenhouse. It helps a family make a living!

Fill the cup with damp potting soil.

Sprinkle tomato seeds on top of the dirt and cover with soil 1/4" deep.
Slip cup into a plastic bag. I like to blow air into the bag and puff it up. I don't know if that helps, but it makes me feel better. smile! Tie it off at the top and put a little tag with the name of the plant and date that you planted it.

I made a new cover for my heating pad today. It needed some cheering up! I made a flannel covering. I like it a lot better now.

Place a little table by a south window. Put a cookie sheet on top of table, then a heating pad (set at med) on top of the cookie sheet. Place a cooling rack on top of the heating pad and if you are like me, you will check the little plants every day to see if they are up. I love it!!!!

I painted a little bluebird today. He just reminds me of spring. I wanted a signature for a long time and today I bumped into how to do one. Thank you Jesus for making my path straight! Tressa put up my little bluebird for me. I think it turned out so fun. I will give you the link on how to do your own signature, in case you would like to do one also. It is from The Cutest Blog On the Block. If you need a little bluebird, maybe we can help you with that!

March 3Oth will be my One year anniversary on having my blog. I am thinking what I would like to do to celebrate. I am thinking I need to have a very special giveaway party. We do need to celebrate. I have so many wonderful friends that have made my days so rich and special. I thank you all so much for that. I have a few weeks to figure out what I will be doing. I can't hardly believe it has been almost a year.

HAPPY PLANTING!
Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. My seedlings are coming along. Aren't you just craving fresh tomatoes?

    Thank you so much for the tea towel and tea bag patterns. I know what I will be making for Christmas.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few weeks ago I was craving fresh tomatoes and bought some. It is never the same as having grown my own but it is better than nothing.

    To plant a seed is a hopeful deed. -Lori@h.a.h.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I forgot to say, "Love your bluebird, very cute, just like you."

    Happy planting to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love your idea and I feel I can do this:) Usually my husband plants cherry tomatoes in buckets on our patio so I can go out and pick 'my tomato's':) But this would really be cool to start them in the house and watch them grow. Thank you for sharing such a marvelous idea.
    God be with you and your cute little 'blue bird'--love it!

    xoxoGert

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Linda, for the wonderful ideas. We've started our seeds but I never thought to use a heating pad. Can hardly wait to give it a try!

    ~ Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good day Linda, I would love to plant some tomatoes..will pick up some seeds and give it a try this weekend..nothing like home grown maters!
    Blessings!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for posting this little tutorial on planting seeds. It's just umph I need to get my bottom in gear on starting my own seedlings. So I'll be starting some this weekend.

    Your signature is ADORABLE! Love the blue bird.
    And congrats on the year of blogging!
    Many blessings to you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tutorial on seed starting, Its seems easy enough for me to do it. I love that enamel ware cup too. Enamel ware makes me think of my grandmothers house she always had a few pieces around. Happy Spring Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool! I need to be doing that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to get busy. I love tomatoes and I am going to try this! Thank you The bluebird is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What did you use for the plastic bag? And where did you get the bags?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous, You can use regular bread bags.They do not have a ziplock on the top, but you could use those also. I buy the Kroger brand at Dillons. Any clear bag will work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the idea os starting in tea pots. YOu could do this as gift to someone who isn't
    able to garden.

    Take care-
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a comment. It is so appreciated and it makes me feel like I am making a new friend.

God Bless your day!