Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Kansas Beauty and God's Heavens



You are welcome to use my photo.

One thing I love about living on a farm is the open space. Last night Mr. Phil was working on the corral, digging a trench so the water would run off. We received 3 1/2 inches of rain. Hmmmmmmm love it!!!! So will my garden. WE needed it so bad. Well another storm was off in the horizon and so the sky was opening up for us all to see all of HIS GLORY! You couldn't help but think about this verse. Beauty in the Kansas sky! Thought you might like to see what we saw.

The sky was even more pink than this.


Love the silhouette of the trees against the sky.


The clouds were dancing!

Mr. Phil and I walked the field to check on the little baby soybeans. They are looking real cute these days.



My grandkids found this tiny frog. They wanted you all to see him. He is not even a half of an inch long. A little cutie!
When I was a young girl in Alaska my Grandpa gave me a pond for all my frogs for my birthday. I would go all over to different ponds and collect tadpoles and little frogs like this and bring them back to my pond. Fun memory!


Yesterday was our middle son and his precious wife's 13th anniversary. We made them our favorite Nummy Chocolate Cake. I wish I could share a piece with you, but I CAN share the recipe! I have made this same cake ever since we got married.


Our Favorite Chocolate Cake
2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 tea. soda
2 sticks butter (a must)
4 T. cocoa
1 cu. cold water
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs

Hershey Chocolate Frosting
1 stick butter
4 T. cocoa
5 T. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pound of powdered sugar
opt. 1 c. nuts
Sift flour and sugar together in large mixing bowl. In a saucepan, bring to boil the butter, cocoa and cold water; pour over flour and sugar. Add remaining ingredients and pour into a large rimmed cookie sheet; 10” x 15”. Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
Last 5 minutes of cake baking time, make icing. In saucepan, bring butter, cocoa and milk to boil. Add vanilla, powdered sugar and nuts. Frost over cooled cake. A must: You need a cold cold glass of milk. Num! From the kitchen of Prairie Flower Farm

Have a wonderful summer day!


Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. Good Morning Sweet Linda!

    Wow, things have been busy at the farm haven't they.

    I am so sorry to hear of Alaska's passing and have been praying for comfort for the whole family.

    I have to tell you, you brought tears of joy to my eyes when you spoke of your Mama showering you with kisses. God is so good!!! What a huge blessing that was, let's pray that she will continue :)

    Clarice is such a sweetheart! I surely miss visiting the folks in Nursing Homes. Hopefully Michael and I can get another vehicle, it is my desire to visit regularly.

    Thanks for sharing such a yuumy recipe with us. I will have to pass right now, I am trying to be good :)

    Have a blessed day Linda!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful pictures of God's Heavens. My son just loved them, Lovley post as usual. You have such a wonderful family. God Bless You and your family. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, and that is my absolute favorite chocolate cake recipe. In our family it is always called Grandma's Chocolate Cake because grandma almost always had one of these on hand. My comfort food of choice!
    Blessings,
    Catherine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful pictures Linda, the cake recipe sounds really delicious too. Thanks for sharing. when we were kids, we had a frog pond we went to, we use to fish and catch frogs and tadpoles too, great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures and the recipe. My oldest daughter loves chocolate. I think I will make it for her birthday. Thanks again and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, what memories you have given me with this recipe. Use to make one just like it when my children were young. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make that exact same cake, and it brings such raves when I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda...
    Oh this is great..I love the skies over Kansas...so pretty and pink!!! God loves color!!!!
    That cake looks really good. Congrats to your son and his wife on 13 years of marrige. That "Nummy Chocolate Cake" looks really good too..but now that I know you've been baking this since you got married...maybe you should call it "Long Happy Marriage" cake? :) :) :) Thanks for sharing this...oh loved the mini-frog too. I remember finding some at my cousin's house as a young girl!!! Those are the best...and at the time, easy to catch!!!

    Oh, my blog is having a problem where I'm publishing all comments written to me. ..but they disappear from my blog after they've been published. Not sure what's going on there...so just wanted to make you aware, in case you posted something and I haven't responded yet. I still love comments and hope Blogger fixes it soon.

    Love and hugs, Heather :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pictures! Thank you for sharing! I tried your recipe for chocolate cake. I am pretty sure that it is our new favorite cake now. Thank you from my family!!!
    Hugs... God Bless.
    cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. I especially love the sky photos! The Heavens declare the glory of God!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh those photos do declare the glory of God. Hallelujah for His creation. Now I am going to have to make that chocolate cake, it looks scrumptious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    All God's good blessings on y'all.
    Jeannie Schlitt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda...I love your pictures...God is amazing is He?? Love the pink hue!! Your cake looks 'oh so yummy'...thanks for the recipe!!

    Blessings.....
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous sky! Don't you just love when God paints His beautiful masterpiece's across the sky for us to see? I can't even imagine what beauty we'll behold one day in Heaven!

    We grew up with a chocolate cake or brownie recipe that called for buttermilk. I remember it being so good. I'll have to see if I can hunt down our family recipe. If not, I'm coming after yours! There is a small Amish community about 20 minutes from my home. One of the bakeries makes buttermilk brownies and they are delicious, of course! But yes, a cold glass of milk is most definitely a must!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos make me very homesick. We lived in Kansas for 7 years (Hutchinson). Kansas is a wonderful place and I love going back for visits. Your blog is very nice and I have enjoyed reading.
    God Bless You,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your pics. They were just beautiful! What a marvelous God we have!

    This is one of our favorite cakes too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda, I love to read your posts each day. I am reminded with each one that I am blessed beyond measure.

    Thank you for sharing your recipe. I'll try it soon.
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome shots of the heavens!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun! I have copied the recipe for that cake...sounds SOOOOO yummy! Our anniversary was on the 6th (the day you posted this...it was 19 years for us...my how the time flies!) Thanks for sharing your heart with all of us so wonderfully...you are a sweet treasure. The LORD is so good!

    Love,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a comment. It is so appreciated and it makes me feel like I am making a new friend.

God Bless your day!