Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Teaching Boys To Be Men!

You are welcome to use my photo on your blog if you like.

Living on a farm gives me wonderful opportunities to teach my grandchildren to work. I feel it is an important part of being their Grammie. To instill in my grandkid what it means to work is a privilege. There has not been a time when we haven't had a lot of fun. I said in the morning that we had a weed problem and that I needed help. They were all excited to help! I took them out to the garden to show them the weeds. They were waist high on them, but since it had rained they were going to be real easy to pull. Off went the flip flops. I heard one of them say. "I love the dirt, it feels squishy on my feet and the dirt going between my toes." They got so dirty! Another said, "I like coming here to the farm, it is fun to work!" We were picking up hundreds of little weeds and he was telling me it was fun! I don't like to set them out to do a job by themselves. I want to work right along side with, because when I do I get to know them so much better. We talk, laugh and always have such a special time. They said things like, Grammie, do you know that, "Jesus is going to come back and reign on the earth for a 1000 years? He is only 8 years old. We talked about that if you don't work you don't eat!

2 Thessalonians 3:10 "For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."


We pulled some weeds that were huge and had long, long roots. I told them that we can have weeds in our life, that are our sin. That when our sin grows it can be just like the weeds we were pulling. If we tell one lie and tell more lies it will grow in our life just as the weeds that were right before us. It was wonderful to be able to instill in their impressionable little minds, the truths of God's word.

I shared with them how the paper kept the light off the ground and then when they put the straw on it, it would keep the weeds from growing again. They took it all in and I hope someday they will want a garden for their own family. They worked so hard. It was hot outside. It wasn't easy, but they did it. We also believe that work needs payment, so each of them were paid. It was a rich time spent working together. I am thankful for the opportunity that the Lord gave me. Memories, you can't beat them! I also told them that if we got all the weeds removed we would plant some cantaloupe. They loved that.

I have loved this verse ever since we were young Christian parents. We were always learning what it was to raise our children in a Christian home. We were hungry to live a new life. We had made a lot of bad decisions during the 70's and some friends came into our lives that loved the Lord with all their hearts. Mr. Phil and I made a commitment to live a life that would please not ourselves, but the Lord. We read everything in the word about family, we went to every Christian Sunday School Convention, so that we could learn what it was to have a Christian home. Now we go to Homeschool Conventions. There is so much to learn about the home at them. Even if you have your children in the public school, you will be so blessed to go to them. Mr. Phil says that all children are Home schooled. If you think about it, that is so true. One of our favorite speakers is Voddie Baucham, you can read part of one of his books here, Family Driven Faith. He loves the family!!!!!!!! He is real radical by today's standards, but so right on! We are asking the Lord to bring Father's back to the home. To be the spiritual leaders of their children. Please pray with us!

Here is a website that you can find some good books for raising young men and young ladies. Click here Great tools for the family! Another interesting interview you can listen to is with Bob Schultz being interviewed by Kevin Swanson, Teaching Boys to Delight in Work. Our boys had the privilege of working along side their Grandma Jo and Grandpa Jack on their farm as kids. They learned to do their work and they had to do it right. It has helped them today with their jobs We are seeing work being lost in our culture today. We need to ask the Lord to come with a fresh touch on the family!

Please take the time to read this scripture. It changed Mr. Phil's and my life when we were taught the responsibility that was set before us as parents. That we were the ones to teach our children. This scripture is about Israel, but it is also for us as well. I want to say, that we did not do it perfectly, we had our own failures, but we did try. It was left up to our children later on in lifeto decide who they were going to serve. I am grateful that they have decided to walk with the Lord.

Dueteronomy 6

Love the LORD Your God

1 These are the commands, decrees and laws the LORD your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess, 2 so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the LORD your God as long as you live by keeping all his decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life. 3 Hear, O Israel, and be careful to obey so that it may go well with you and that you may increase greatly in a land flowing with milk and honey, just as the LORD, the God of your fathers, promised you.

4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates............

10 When the LORD your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give you—a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, 11 houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant—then when you eat and are satisfied, 12 be careful that you do not forget the LORD, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

13 Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name. 14 Do not follow other gods, the gods of the peoples around you; 15 for the LORD your God, who is among you, is a jealous God and his anger will burn against you, and he will destroy you from the face of the land. 16 Do not test the LORD your God as you did at Massah. 17 Be sure to keep the commands of the LORD your God and the stipulations and decrees he has given you. 18 Do what is right and good in the LORD's sight, so that it may go well with you and you may go in and take over the good land that the LORD promised on oath to your forefathers, 19 thrusting out all your enemies before you, as the LORD said.

20 In the future, when your son asks you, "What is the meaning of the stipulations, decrees and laws the LORD our God has commanded you?" 21 tell him: "We were slaves of Pharaoh in Egypt, but the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand. 22 Before our eyes the LORD sent miraculous signs and wonders—great and terrible—upon Egypt and Pharaoh and his whole household. 23 But he brought us out from there to bring us in and give us the land that he promised on oath to our forefathers. 24 The LORD commanded us to obey all these decrees and to fear the LORD our God, so that we might always prosper and be kept alive, as is the case today. 25 And if we are careful to obey all this law before the LORD our God, as he has commanded us, that will be our righteousness."


Blessings and hugs from the farm!

Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. amen, this is so important, and so many mothers fall short, but God commanded us to teach our children, hugs my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Linda,
    I just wanted to tell you that I love this post! Raising children is such a special privilege...one never to be taken lightly.
    God bless,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to work barefoot in the garden too and feel the dirt between my toes!

    Weeding is a good way to fill the time. Its good for kids to learn how to work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How blessed you are with these dear little boys! Sounds like you had a perfect day on the farm :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barb, I think that the young women have not been taught by the older women enough So many women have been taken out of the home young and old. Momma's and Daddy's are working so hard to just make a living. I am seeing a movement where mommies are coming back home though and it blesses my heart. Scripture has called the older women to teach the young in Titus 2. I think if we rub shoulders more with the momma's and come along side them, we would see some wonderful changes. It will take all of us to do it though. It can't just happen in the church, it has to happen in our homes, in the kitchen, the garden or in the park. Just a thought.

    I so agree Laura. I have been able to stay home, but not without lots of sacrifice. I didn't want someone else raising my children. I wanted it all!

    Blessings ladies! Linda

    Sheryl, my feet look so bad in the summer!!!!!!! So do my grandchildrens. smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda Sweetie...
    I love the picture with Psalm 119:129 printed on it. How beautiful is this child? The innocence of a child and the perfect time to mold them into a wonderful Christian soul.

    Some of my fondest memories as a child are running through the red clay fields of Oklahoma as Grand daddy plowed the fields. I loved those simple times more than any other time in my life. My Grandparents were the most wonderful Christian people I had ever known. Many a hungry passer would stop at their backdoor asking for a job for a meal, hungry they were. After working an odd job, they were allowed to clean and not be handed a free meal, but called into supper like the rest of the family, they sat at the table for supper. Grandma always told the story about the basket of fish feeding so many people, and that God always made sure there was enough to go around the table. I truly believed that she had an endless pot.

    Thank you for bringing some beautiful memories to my mind today with you writings. I so love to come and read.

    God Bless you sweetie. Country hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sherry, so nice of you to write and leave your memory. How beautiful for you to have that memory in your heart. I do love the simple!
    I think if life gets real hard here in America we are going to be feeding just like Jesus did. We will see miracles. I love for you to come to my blog. You leave such precious comments.
    Blessings to you Sweet Pea, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda,

    Keep it up with those little boys! Grandmothers have a special place in my heart. Mine introduced me to Jesus.

    I am certainly in agreement with you on not enough mentoring going on around. I have been very blessed to have older women in my life along the way especially not growing up in a believing household :) As I have poured my life into my children they have poured their lives into mine.

    Most recently I've found myself missing that relationship again so I've begun to pray. Linda your blog has been a partial answer to that prayer and you've become that "more mature" voice in my life.

    I've been asked in the past several weeks to mentor a dear, sweet gal that's about 12 years my junior-she's actually our pastor's wife. I guess this is a milestone for me of going from a Timothy to a Paul and it's only by the grace of God I'd even consider it.

    Oh I'm so glad God gave us each other and we live in a global community of brothers and sisters! May He be glorified in His Church.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well written Linda! I was raised on a farm so I know the value of hard work. It was instilled in us early on by our parents. My husband and I strive to do the same for our children. We don't live on a farm, but there is much upkeep to be done around the home. We have them outside working with us while we work, or inside chores. They receive payment as well. Time spent showing them the right way to do a job, is time well spent. There are always those teachable moments in all we do, in our everyday life where we can teach them about life and God's Word. I'm so thankful that God put my husband and I together as a team to raise our children for Him.

    Btw... we were pulling weeds this morning. Their reward for working hard in the mornings is the swimming pool! So refreshing after a hard morning's work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Linda! Thanks for this post. You reminded me that I must go out and water the garden - it's been so hot here (105) with no rain in a long time. You also reminded me of a new movie coming out next year - Courage: Honor Begins At Home (http://www.courageousthemovie.com). It's from the makers of Fireproof. I am really looking forward to seeing this new movie that centers around Fatherhood.

    Thanks, again. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda, thank you, thank you for this post! One of the most important things that believing parents can do today is to teach boys to be godly hard working men and girls to be Titus 2 women. Our daughters and sons are to have as their #1 mission field the children that God blessed them with. I thank God for men and women who are willing to train their children. Blessings to you, sweet Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Linda,
    It is so nice to 'meet' you! Very refreshing to come to a blog where you're not afraid to talk about the Lord and the things that are important in life. Love your use of scripture! I was a stay-at-home mom and I wouldn't trade a day of it for any career. My babies were the most important people in my life; gifts from God's hand. Thank you for your words of wisdom and have a wonderful evening.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, I love Voddie Baucham! I have listened to him in person several times when I lived in Houston, I'm so glad you are familiar with him. Thank you for sharing the link. You are blessed to have such a great family.
    Blessings,
    Jeannie Schlitt

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful post!! I appreciated it very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Big hugs, friend...it is so stinkin' hot here that I'm grumpy with my kiddos, and needed to be reminded (again) to work along with them and use every opportunity to teach them. What a privilege!
    XOXO
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Linda,
    What a wonderful post! It starts in the home!!! We cannot expect anyone else to do it for us, our children are counting on us! I look at my children every day and feel honored that the Lord would trust me (trust me?) to take care of them. I feel guilty because I know I fall short every day, but I will keep fighting/trying for them and teach them about our Lord until the day I die.
    How wonderful it is that you love your children /grandchildren so much that you are teaching them these things. Every child should be loved that much!
    You are such a blessing!
    Love Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Linda,
    Thank you so much for your dear comments!
    I could just weep over this post! So true. I will be back later today to think on this.
    I am also a bible study teacher and a christian speaker... this would make the best speaking topic.
    I praise God because of you, dear friend!
    I love you, too!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a comment. It is so appreciated and it makes me feel like I am making a new friend.

God Bless your day!