Monday, February 13, 2012

We Have Internet!

Hello sweet ladies, 

Well last night I started to write a post and then the internet died. The wind had been howling and blowing for hours. I think that the tower which is on top of the grain elevator must have been damaged somehow. We were also getting snow........that part was beautiful, but the wind was making chores not so much fun! My sweet man did them for me........he let me I stay in the house....he is like that! It was on when we got home! Thankful!

My friend Rosa had given me 3 sweet potatoes at CHRISTmas time.......two to have for dinner and one so I could start my own slips. Slips are the green leafy shoots that will come off the potato. They are used to plant into the ground when the weather gets warmer so you can grow sweet potatoes. It is really easy to do and if you want to do this the middle of February is the time to start. Then you will be ready for spring. This weekend I will get some of my other seeds going. I thought I would show you what I did! I will show two ways!  

Growing sweet potato slips.

Cut a sweet potato length wise in half..........



use some potting soil and put about 3" into a bread pan (I also used some old horse manure). Place the sweet potatoes with flesh side on top of soil. Water the soil, *make your own watering jug.



Wrap the bread pans in plastic wrap and place in a warm place . It will give a greenhouse affect. I put mine on top of the refrigerator until this weekend. When the slips start growing take the plastic off and after they get 5" to 6" place in water in a mason jar so they will root. 


Here is another easier way to start growing your slips. Just stick the sweet potato in a wide mouth cup and put it by a window. You will be surprised at how fast this will grow! After the slips get to about 5" to 6" take them off at the place where it starts to grow and put into a large mason jar with water. Keep them in the water until you are ready to plant in your garden. They are expensive to buy at the garden stores, so you will be saving money by doing it this way. Plus it is a little like having a garden in your house. 


* Take the lid to a milk jug. Using a thick needle poke it into the lid. Make sure that your milk jug is cleaned out real good. Fill it with water and  put the lid back onto the jug. Use this for your watering jug. Works great! Even for outside. I have a tin one, but this is nice to have in the house. 


I saw this on Pinterest. It was pinned from Country Living. I think Prairie Flower Farm......needs a gold fish or two. I have a jar kind of like this, not with the adorable decal though.......but the jar would be perfect. When I get them, I will show you. I think the grandkids will love it! 

Tomorrow is Valentines Day and I will make these...... 


for breakfast for the kids......aren't they beautiful?

Tenlee and Kesa her Momma

I have a surprise for all of you who have prayed for little Tenlee.
"Vent off and rocking with Mommy"!!!!

Praising God!!!!!!!! Thanking Him big time for Tenlee's miracle!!!!!!! 

Prayer Request needed!!!!!!!!!

Picture of a bundled Delainey the pic is dark, but how precious is she?

Here is an update from Delainey's Grammy Sue.

First of all, I want to thank you and all the "sweet ladies" for praying for our Delainey.  She is on her way with Daddy and Mommy to Rochester, MN, The Mayo Clinic, for an echo cardiogram and a consultation.  Please pray the doctors will find some way to help our dear girl.  She has several areas affected by the Trisomy 18:  heart, lungs, digestive system, a dislocated hip, curvature of the spine, and some minor problems associated with her condition.  She is strong, having survived to 15 months of age on 2/15/12.  Her mom wanted to celebrate her "Golden Birthday", being 15 months old on February 15, and so we did yesterday.  She is so sweet with smiles that melt your heart, and she so brave.

Delainey has never had a road trip before.  This won't be easy, as she is on oxygen, a heart/breathing monitor, and feedings through the g-tube in her nose to her tummy.  Praise God, they had to buy her a bigger car seat, as she has outgrown her first one.  She weighs only 11.5 lbs.  About 24 inches long.  Small, but mighty in the Lord.  

Well, I need to work a little bit on my pattern.......it is coming along fine! I am liking it......a lot! The Lord has been so precious. I will be working along asking for help....and this neat idea will come to my mind.....I will try it and it is exactly what I needed! 


Happy Valentines Day sweet ladies!!!!!!

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. I Corinthians 13:13

Love you!!!!!!!

Hugs to your day, 

Linda




14 comments:

  1. I really enjoy eating sweet potatoes. They taste so good and they're good for you :) :) I can't wait to see what they look like once they're growing in the ground :) :)

    I"m happy for Tenley and her mom, Kisa...love the photo.

    I'll bepraying for Delainey, too!!! So many prayer requests and I'm happy to pray for each one that comes my way :) :)

    OH, coconut lime scones? Yes, please!!!! Those sound really nice :) :) :)

    Have a Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do also Heather. They are so fun to watch grow in your garden. The travel everywhere! Hugs!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous for the sweet potatoes!! Thank you!! Last year was my first year with a garden! Prayers for Tenley and Delainey coming from upstate new York (farm country). Xoxo Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tara.....thank you for commenting! I love gardening.....one of my favorite things to do!

      Blessings, me

      Delete
  3. Fabulous for the sweet potatoes!! Thank you!! Last year was my first year with a garden! Prayers for Tenley and Delainey coming from upstate new York (farm country). Xoxo Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God for the progress that little Tenlee and Delainey have achieved! I love reading their updates. I will continue to pray for both of them and their sweet families.

    I love sweet potatoes! And I really want to try the lime scones! With coffee :D

    Hugs,

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree!!!!!!! You know how to get to my house. When they are ready for digging I will let you know! Anddddd I will fix you lime scones........with coffee!
      Hugs, me

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed the news in your email today. God is so good! Praise Him for Tenlee's Miracle and for helping Delainey. We pray that God will be in the decisions that the doctors will be making in Delainey's case.
    I want to plant some sweet potatoes too. I have put them in a jar with water some what like you do with an avocado seed.
    I know everyone will enjoy the Coconut Lime Scones you will be making for breakfast tomorrow. Wishing you and your family a Happy Valentines' Day! I pray you, your sweet man, and your girls are all well.
    Blessings to you,
    Gla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweetness! Happy Valentines to you. Thank you so much for praying for our fam......you are precious!
      Hugs, me

      Delete
  6. Thanks for all the updates, and the info on sweet potatos! Will try them!
    Our Lord is faithful!
    Happy Valentines Day!

    Off to put some eggplant parm in the oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh num......eggplant parmesan. Sounds wonderful!
      Hugs, me

      Delete
  7. Goodness ~ your blog was chock-full of info today! :-) I gotta tell ya ~ I'll take the fish over the sweet "taters" anytime. lol ~ much to my hubby's dismay, I am not a fan.

    Always praying for the babies.

    Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

    ReplyDelete
  8. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. I Corinthians 13:13 ********* i LOVE this! it was the main theme in my music fraternity while i was at UNI(Univ.NorthernIowa)!! i'm very happy to see Tenlee's pic w/her mom! will pray for Delainey! also want to try the SPot slippin'! i hope the 'pattern' is going together smoothly...perfect pressing produces pretty patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sweet potatoes! I may try this! Enjoy your crop when they come sprouting everyone this Spring! I saw some beautiful flowers at the store today. I am excited for Spring to get here. Hugs Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a comment. It is so appreciated and it makes me feel like I am making a new friend.

God Bless your day!