Saturday, February 25, 2012

When You Live On A Farm!

Hello sweet ladies,




Went out to check on my Girlies.......my sweet man had let them out for me this morning.  I went out a little later. Well my my my.... look who we have here...... "Little No Tail Feathers"........was sitting so sweetly in the basket. How nice of her to come......hope she lays me an egg....they are blue and little. 



This morning I had wonderful plans.......I was just getting ready to take a pic of the lilac twigs I am forcing to bloom. I went out the other day and there was green buds starting to bud out on the bushes! So I picked some. A little green leaf was starting to sprout......sweet........love life......even if it is just a little green leaf. Then I noticed out the window was little Miss Fluff.... by herself. She was running around this way and that........and then I saw the dog with my black Daddy Cochin in his mouth!!!!!!!! Out the door my sweet man and I went.......couldn't find the dog anywhere, but we did find feathers! The hard thing was we couldn't find the chickens anywhere. We went and looked. My sweet man came in to tell me that he found Shelby........not alive. I couldn't believe it. Trying to handle it this morning......choices. I am leaning heavy on the Lord......we went and talked to the family. They are the most precious people. Thanking the Lord for them. God is a grace giver.....I am asking Him to make me like Him...not always easy to chose that.Over the years I have seen how time and time again He can take our hurts and uses them. Certainly not always the easiest. thing to do






My fancy tailed Banty Rooster was cock a doodling away!!!! I think he was calling the chickens back........poor thing. 


I am waiting to see what chickens will come back. So far I have  the Blue Girly Cochin, two of the Red Cochin Girlies, one 
Rooster and Girly White Cochin  and the  little fancy feathered Rooster. Little Miss Fluff was hovered behind a tree hiding for safety.  Miss Milly and Missy Thatcher are still sitting on their eggs. I had a cover in front of them for protection. I am missing a Red and Mottled Cochin Roosters.  I will know more by night fall who is safe. If they don't come home I will be ordering some new babies. Special!!!!! 


Today I will be planting my seeds........it will be a quiet day. I will also be looking on the internet to try and find a Momma and Daddy like Shelby or maybe baby chicks. She was quite unique in her markings. Someone told me she was a Partridge chicken. If any of you might know where to get some please let me know. Shelby was the one that always roosted outside our kitchen window up in the evergreen tree. Loved watching her in the mornings....as she sunned herself. Made my Saturdays and Sundays special. Life can sure change fast. I know it has for many of you also. Sorry! 


Hugs from my farm......
Linda





13 comments:

  1. Oh Linda, my heart just goes out to you and your family. I have a hard time understanding how irresponsible the dog owners are! I know you are so understanding & loving...we can learn so much from you!

    My prayers are with you...

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gert....it has not been a fun day! It kind of goes with the territory though. You are so sweet!
      Love you, me

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about your chickens. I pray you find the rest safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristina, how sweet you are to pray. I need it so my mind stays in check!
      me

      Delete
  3. Oh so sad! I have a partridge cochin hen and rooster and would love to share some eggs...but we're in Canada! God gives us so many wonderful animals and we love and care for them, but it makes the losing so hard to cope with...have a better day!
    www.cariboogals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dooooooooo!!! How exciting. I will go to the post office and see if we can do this. Is your email the same? Let me know and we can email each other. I would pay the shipping and all. I am going to try to email you and show you what I found on mailing eggs. Really easy. I would be so happy to pay for whatever you need to do from your end.
      Thank you!!!!!!
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about your "Girlies and roosters". I'm a dog lover, but would hate to have a dog that destroyed a neighbors property. Dogs will get loose sometimes, no matter how hard you try to corral them. It's probably harder in the country on a farm than in a small town where you can keep them fenced in. I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend and get some new chickies soon. Love and hugs sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan........I keep looking outside checking on who will come back. The wind is horrible today. Hugs to you!!!!!!! me

      Delete
  5. Oh Linda I am so sorry to hear this. But it is life on the farm. And yes you are right. Things can change so quickly. In one day you whole life can change. I know....

    ReplyDelete
  6. God Bless your gracious, forgiving spirit!! i wish you God's speed in replacing your brood!
    ^)^linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Linda,
    I was just thinking how beautiful Shelby was from your picture you shared with us on Wednesday. My heart is so sad for you and your family. I admire you so much for even trying to be so forgiving. Thank you for sharing your farm life with us and reminding me about Jesus.
    ~Lynn from Hutch-your neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, I'm so sorry. It just breaks my heart. You hang in there missy, I guess it is just part of having animals. Sad though. Try to have a good weekend in spite of it all.
    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just came across your blog and was reading about Shelby. She indeed looks like a Partridge Wyandotte. Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX, carries the males. I've ordered from them exclusively and have always received healthy chicks. You might want to check with them about a hen or straight run.
    God Bless,
    Berte

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a comment. It is so appreciated and it makes me feel like I am making a new friend.

God Bless your day!